[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"GREAT STUKELEY, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 2½ miles north-west of Huntingdon. The village is on the Great Northern road, and near the ancient Ermine Street. This parish, under the name Stivecle, was given by David, Earl of Huntingdon, to the Camoys, from whom it came to the Stones, &c. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £124, in the patronage of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, has monuments. The parochial charities comprise about £16 per annum, the rent of eight acres of land, and Spittal's almshouse. Broughton, author of the "Monasticon Britanicum," was born here in the reign of James I. L. Torkington, Esq., is lord of the manor. The county gaol is in this parish.
The full 1841 Census of Great Stukeley is available as fiche set C117.
The full 1851 Census of Great Stukeley is available as fiche set C67.
A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Great Stukeley was enumerated (RG11/1602, Folios 77a - 86a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Great Stukeley was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9.
The church of St Bartholomew consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and a south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressing and the roofs are covered in tiles and lead.
Although mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, nothing remains of this church, in-situ, but numerous stones built into the walls indicate a stone church of the 12th cent. The earliest part of the present structure are the north arcade (circa. 1250); the south arcade, south aisle and chancel are of a slightly later date. In the ealy years of the 14th cent., the present very wide north aisle was built and apparently the east and west bays of the arcade were rebuilt.
The 15th cent. saw much building in progress at this church beginning with the rebuilding of the chancel arch about 1430, following on with the rebuilding of the middle part of the south aisle wall and the building of the south porch about 1470. Much about the same time saw the commencement of the tower which was not finished until later, and finally the addition of a clearstory to the nave. The porch was much altered in the 17th cent., and partially rebuilt in 1913. The whole church was restored about the middle of the 19th cent., and again in 1909/10.
There is additional information about St. Bartholomew's Church on "Rob's Churches" website.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.