Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HAMERTON, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 10 miles north-west of Huntingdon, its post town, and the same distance south-west of Oundle. It is situated on the Alconbury brook. The parish is wholly agricultural, and most of the inhabitants are engaged on the farms. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £445. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower, formerly surmounted by a spire, which was destroyed by lightning. J. 0. Smith Barry, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions of the parish of Hamerton have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Hamerton Parish is available as fiche set C104.
- The full 1851 Census of Hamerton is available as fiche set C71.
- A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Hamerton was enumerated (RG11/1602, Folios 9a - 13a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C-3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Spaldwick sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1236) in which Buckworth was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C8).
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 137797.
- The church of All Saints consists of a chancel with vestry on the north, a nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. the walls are of stone rubble and pebble rubble with stone dressings. The tower is of ashlar, and the roofs are covered with tiles, slates and lead.
- The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but one probably existed and there is reference to it in 1130. The earliest parts of the present building are the side windows of the porch, which date from the extreme end of the 13th century, but the whole church seems to have been rebuilt with a chancel, nave, side aisles and south porch in the early years of the 14th century. The usual reconstruction took place late in the 15th century when the aisle walls were largely rebuilt with larger windows, a clearstory added to the nave, the roofs of the nave and aisles renewed, a rood-screen and rood-stairs added, and the west tower built. The chancel, being decayed and ruinous, was partly rebuilt in 1796 when a new steep roof covered with tiles replaced the former flat-leaded roof.
- The church was restored in 1854 when the chancel walls were refaced. The chancel was under-pinned and repaired in 1896-7.
- There are photographs and further information on All Saints Church on Rob's Churches website.
- These are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- All original registers are still retained by the parish church.
- Baptisms: 1604-1626, 1660-1845 (all indexed transcriptions).
- Banns: 1756-after 1844 (indexed transcriptons).
- Marriages: 1604-1626, 1662/3-1845 (all indexed transcriptions).
- Burials: 1604-1626, 1660-1845 (all indexed transcriptions).
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1607-9, 1612, 1617, 1619, 1626, 1660-9/1674-7, 1684-8, 1691-5, 1698-1702, 1704-6, 1709-11, 1713-15, 1719-20, 1722-31, 1733-6, 1738, 1742-3, 1750-1, 1753-4, 1759-63, 1766, 1771, 1773, 1778-9, 1784, 1786, 1790, 1793, 1799-1813/1813-2/1826-9, 1831-2, 1834-40, 1841-4, 1846-55, 1857.
- The parish registers for Hamerton All Saints 1604-2000, are available as fiche set D89.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754. The last two fiche sets mentioned above are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Hamerton was originally in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Spaldwick sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District again.
- A GENWEB page for Hamerton is available.
You can see pictures of Hamerton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL137797 (Lat/Lon: 52.403473, -0.330111), Hamerton which are provided by:
- Hambertune (xi cent.),
- Hamertune (xii cent.).
- The parish of Hamerton was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Population in 1801 - 129.
- Population in 1851 - 179.
- Population in 1901 - 173.
- Population in 1951 - 141.
- Population in 1971 - 93.
- Population in 1991 - 105.