[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HARTFORD, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 1½ mile east of Huntingdon, its post town. It is situated on the river Ouse, and contains the lordship of Sapley, which formerly belonged to the Middletons. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £174, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient Norman structure with tower. The parochial charities produce about £26 per annum. There is a free school for infants. J. H. Pelly, Esq., is lord of the manor."
The full 1841 Census of Hartford Parish is available as fiche set C100.
The full 1851 Census of Hartford Parish is available as fiche set C50.
A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Hartford was enumerated (RG11/1603, Folios 94a - 103b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C3.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Hartford and Sapley were enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9.
The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, modern organ chamber and vestry on the north of the chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle west tower and south porch. The walls are of pebble with stone dressing and the roofs are tiled.
Of the church mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, nothing remains. The two arcades are of the extreme end of the 12th century, and the northern perhaps is slightly earlier than the south. The north and east walls of the chancel may be of the same date. The tower is of late 15th century date. All the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1861, and a further restoration took place in 1885.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The parish of Hartford was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration. Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.