"HEMINGFORD ABBOTS, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 2¾ miles west of St. Ives, its post town, and 3 east of Huntingdon. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the south bank of the river Ouse. It was given by Bishop AEthelic to Ramsey Abbey, and at the Dissolution came to the Pages and Barnards. The land is chiefly arable. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Act of Enclosure in 1801. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £424. The church, an ancient edifice, is dedicated to St. Margaret, and contains tombs of the Dickenses. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum.