"HEMINGFORD GREY, (or East), a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 2 miles from St. Ives, its post town. It is a small village situated on the south bank of the river Ouse, which is navigable from Bedford to Lynn. It was given by Hardicanute to Ramsey Abbey, and by the Conqueror to Alberic, or Aubreyde-Vere; thence it descended to the Greys of Wilton, Newmans, &c. St. Ives union poorhouse is situated in this parish. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1806. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely value £177. The church, which is situated near the river, is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. James. The interior of the church contains some stained windows and a tomb of Sophia, sister to the "beautiful Miss Gummings," who was born in this parish, and became Duchess of Hamilton and Argyle.