[Transcribed and edited information from The Victoria County History series- 1932]
"HILTON was not formed into a parish until 1873, before which date it was a chapelry of Fen Stanton. It lies on the south-east boundary of the old county, and comprises land consisting of heavy, rich loam with a sub-soil of Oxford Clay. For the most part, it is low-lying being about 50 ft. above ordnance datum and nowhere rising to more than 100 ft. The land is mostly arable.
The village, which was regarded as one of the prettiest in the old county, lies off the east side of the road from Potton to St Ives, about 4 miles to the south-west of the latter town. The church stands towards the south end of the village. To the north-east is the village green, around which stood the principal houses. There are some 17th century cottages, but the majority of the housing has been built in the 20th century.
There was no separate manor of Hilton, which has always been parcel of the manor of Fen Stanton. However, it did have some large freeholds held of the Lords of the Manor. "