[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
"HOLME, until the 19th century, Holme was a hamlet and chapelry of Glatton. In 1857 the two became separate ecclesiastical parishes, and in 1866 separate civil parishes were created. Holme included the greater part of what was formerly Whittlesea Mere, which occupied the northen end of the parish.
Holme is about a mile east of the Ermine Street (now the A1 Motorway), and is separated from Ramsey on the east and south-east by the old course of the River Nene and Burbeach stream; and from Conington, on the south, by the Holme Brook. Drains and Dykes intersect the parish from south-west to north-east. 'A place by the stream for washing Herrings' is mentioned in 1300. Holme Fen (parts of which were still unreclaimed in 1935) lies south of Wittlesea Mere, and the whole parish is so low-lying that little of the land is more than 10 ft. above sea-level. The soil is chiefly fen, peat and clay producing wheat, oats and mustard.
The small village is situated about half-a-mile from the western boundary of the parish, with the church in the north-west corner, and the old school and vicarage is to the east of it. Holme Wood House, built in Holme Park by William Wells about 1874, replaced an earlier house which was occupied by Captain William Wells RN (d. 1826). It follows the descent of the manor of Glatton with Holme until 1918. Holme was not included in the sale of the Glatton Manor in 1918."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]