[Transcribed and edited information from The Victoria County History series- 1932]
"HOLME, until the 19th century, Holme was a hamlet
chapelry of Glatton. In 1857 the two became
separate ecclesiastical parishes, and in 1866 separate civil parishes were created.
Holme included the greater
part of what was formerly Whittlesea Mere, which occupied the northen end of the
[Description(s) transcribed by Ian Argall and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
Holme is about a mile east of the Ermine Street (now the A1 Motorway), and is separated
from Ramsey on the east
and south-east by the old course of the River Nene and Burbeach stream; and from
Conington, on the south, by the
Holme Brook. Drains and Dykes intersect the parish from south-west to north-east.
'A place by the stream for
washing Herrings' is mentioned in 1300. Holme Fen (parts of which were still unreclaimed
in 1935) lies south of
Wittlesea Mere, and the whole parish is so low-lying that little of the land is more
than 10 ft. above sea-level.
The soil is chiefly fen, peat and clay producing wheat, oats and mustard.
The small village is situated about half-a-mile from the western boundary of the
parish, with the church in the
north-west corner, and the old school and vicarage is to the east of it. Holme Wood
House, built in Holme Park by
William Wells about 1874, replaced an earlier house which was occupied by Captain
William Wells RN
It follows the descent of the manor of Glatton with Holme until 1918. Holme was not
included in the sale of the Glatton Manor in 1918."
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. However,
Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Holme Parish, and which took place on 7th June 1841, is available as fiche set C92.
- The full 1851 Census of Holme Parish is available as fiche set C42.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District
(RG12/1225) in which Holme was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by
the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15).
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the
- An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which both
Holme (Folios 71B - 79B) and Holme Fen (Folios 83B - 89) were enumerated, and which took place on 30th March
1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
- The Census is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough
PE3 6PU, England. Please state which version you want.
- St. Giles's Church, Holme.
- The church of
St. Giles consisted of a chancel, nave with side aisles, south porch and a bell-cote for two bells
on the west gable. Some of the piers were of the 12th century while others were of the 13th century; the bell-cote
was of the later date. The windows were inserted in the 15th century and later. The porch was a much later addition.
- This church was pulled down and an entirely new church was built in 1862. It consists of a chancel with organ-chamber
and vestry on the north side, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and a bell-cote for two bells on the west gable.
The walls are of hammer-dressed stone and the roofs are covered with tiles.
- There are
photographs and further information on St. Giles's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- These are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1683/4-1761 (Register is badly damaged but microfilm copy will be produced.), 1762-1812, 1813-1859.
- Banns: 1754-1778, 1823-1936, 1963.
- Marriages: 1683/4-1759, 1762-1777, 1754-1806, 1807-1812, 1813-1836, 1837-1956.
- Burials: 1683/4-1761, 1762-1812, 1813-1942.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1607-8, 1612, 1617-19, 1625-7, 1629, 1670-2/1680, 1682-3, 1685-8, 1690-1702,
1705-18, 1720-56/1757-93, 1795-1813/1813-24/1825-59.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700,
and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Holme was originally in the Peterborough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.
From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.
- A GENWEB page for
Holme is available.
- The parish of Holme was in the Peterborough Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1901 - 218.
- Population in 1851 - 506.
- Population in 1901 - 658.
- Population in 1951 - 531.
- Population in 1971 - 496.
- Population in 1991 - 463.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015