[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HOLYWELL-CUM-NEEDINGWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingtone, county
Huntingdon, 1¾ mile east of St. Ives, its post town. The village, which is
small, is situated on the river Ouse. Fragments of Roman pottery have been
discovered here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value
£528. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient
structure with a square tower. The churchyard commands an extensive view of
the river Ouse. Near the church is a holy well, from which the village
derived its name. There are places of worship for the Wesleyans and
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"NEEDINGWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Holywell cum Needingworth,
hundred of Hurstingstone,
county Huntingdon, 2 miles north-east of St. Ives, its post town. It was formerly
a chapelry, but the chapel, dedicated to St. James, has long disappeared.
The hamlet, which is of large extent, was the birth-place of Sir Ambrose
Nicholas, Lord Mayor of London in 1576. The Baptists and Wesleyans have
each a place of worship."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental Inscriptions from the Parish Churchyard (approximately 393 entries - £1.50 inclusive of postage worldwide) are available from the
Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Holywell-cum-Needingworth Parish is available as fiche set C99.
- The full 1851 Census of Holywell-cum-Needingworth Parish is available as fiche set C49.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Holywell
(RG11/1609, Folios 4a - 6a) and Needingworth (RG11/1609, Folios 6b - 19a) were enumerated,
and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1234)
in which Holywell-cum-Needingworth parish was enumerated,and which took place on 5th April
1891, is available as fiche set C12.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 336708.
- The church of St John the Baptist consists of a chancel, south vestry, nave, north aisle,
south aisle and west tower, together with a modern south porch. The walls are of rubble
with stone dressings, the west tower is of ashlar and the roofs are of tiles and slates.
- Although mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, it is doubtful if anything earlier
than the 13th century remains, to which date the chancel may be assigned. the north
arcade and aisle were built towards the end of the century, and about the year 1300,
the south arcade and south aisle were added. The tower is recorded as having been built
in 1547 of stone brought from Ramsey Abbey, the material being largely of 14th century
date. The clearstory is of the early 16th century.
- The church was rather drastically restored in 1862 when the vestry was added and the
porch rebuilt. The tower was restored in 1915 and other works were done in 1919.
- A Baptist chapel was built in the centre of Needingworth since 1861, and at the western
end of this village was a Methodist Chapel dating from 1888.
- These are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1667-1747, 1747-1812, 1813-1858, 1858-1912
- Banns: 1754-1822, 1823-1956, 1955-1980
- Marriages: 1667-1746, 1747-1754, 1754-1812, 1813-1837, 1837-1963, 1963-1968, 1968-1973,
1973-1977, 1977-1979, 1979-1986
- Burials: 1667-1746, 1747-1812, 1813-1901
- BTs.: 1604-5, 1607-8, 1610, 1612, 1618-19, 1625, 1660-8, 1670-1, 1674, 1676-78, 1684-87,
1690-91, 1693-1716, 1718-20, 1722-1751/1752-87, 1789-1813/1813-19/1822-35, 1837-43, 1845, 1848-56.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in
series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- The parish of Holywell-cum-Needingworth was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837; this subsequently became a sub-District. Since 1st April 1997, it has come directly under the Huntingdon Registration Office.
The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Haliewell (xi cent.),
- Halywell (xiii cent.).
- Nidingworth (xiii cent.),
- Niddyngworth (xiv cent.).
- Holliwell-cum-Needingworth (xvii cent.).
- The parish of Holywell-cum-Needingworth was in the St. Ives Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and deaths registered in the St Ives Union Workhouse (1836 - 1913) are available,
as fiche set D9, from the
- Population in 1801 - 623
- Population in 1851 - 915
- Population in 1901 - 653
- Population in 1951 - 684
- Population in 1971 - 1398
- Population in 1991 - 2464
- The parish of Holywell-cum-Needingworth occupies 2911 acres.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 14.41 on Wednesday, 02 October 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]