[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HUNTINGDON, comprises the parishes of
it is a market town, municipal and parliamentary
borough and county town, in the hundred of Leightonstone, county
Huntingdon, 59 miles north of London by the Great Northern railway; it is also
a station on the St. Ives, Huntingdon, and Cambridge branch of the Great
Eastern railway. It stands on a gently rising ground, near the line of the
ancient Ermine Street, not far from the site of the Roman station
Durolipons - The Ouse, which separates it from the village of Godmanchester,
is crossed by an ancient stone bridge of six arches, forming part of a
causeway constructed above the meadows, which are frequently inundated by
(There is more of this description).
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"ABBOT'S CHAIR, a stone in the parish of Huntingdon, and near Huntingdon,
on the borders of the parishes of
Old Hurst and Woodhurst, in the hundred of Hurstingstone, and county of
Huntingdon, 4 miles north-east of Huntingdon, and 69 north of London. It receives
the first affix of its name from an Austin friary, founded by Eustace de
Lovetot, in the reign of Henry II.; but of which no traces now remain."
"PORT HOLME, a level field adjoining the town of Huntingdon and in
the parish of Huntingdon, county Hunts, where the races are held. It is
situated on the river Ouse, and once belonged to the Protector Cromwell.
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Census information for Huntingdon Town is given on each of its
four parish pages.
- The full 1841 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C101.
- The full 1851 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C51.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which all four
Huntingdon parishes were enumerated (RG11/1604, Folios 4a - 12a), and which took place on 3rd
April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in
which the four Huntingdon parishes and the Huntingdon Union Workhouse were enumerated, and which
took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- There were originally 16 ancient parishes in Huntingdon. These were:
All Saints. This was abolished in 1667 to create Huntingdon All Saints with St John by union.
- Huntingdon Holy Trinity. This was derelict by the 14th century.
- Huntingdon St Andrew. This was in decay after 1529.
St Benedict. This was abolished in 1668 to create Huntingdon St Mary and St Benedict.
- Huntingdon St Botolph. Site unknown.
- Huntingdon St Clement. Not mentioned after 1372.
- Huntingdon St Edmund. United in 1312 with Huntingdon St Mary.
- Huntingdon St. George. Mentioned only in the 17th century.
- Huntingdon St Germain. Mentioned on a 17th century map, but there is no earlier mention.
St John. Abolished in 1667 to create Huntingdon All Saints and St John.
- Huntingdon St Lawrence. No mention after the 13th century.
- Huntingdon St Martin. United in 1343 with Huntingdon St Mary.
St Mary. Gained Huntingdon St Martin in 1343, and Huntingdon St Clement in 1372. Abolished in 1668 to create Huntingdon St Mary and St Benedict.
- Huntingdon St Michael. In ruins by the 16th century when it was united with Huntingdon St Peter.
- Huntingdon St Nicholas. Site unknown.
- Huntingdon St Peter. It was in ruins by the later 16th century.
- There is also a modern church of St Barnabas but this is unlikely to have any history for family historians.
- The Registration District of Huntingdon has served the Borough since 1st July 1837.
The Boer war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
The World war memorial with detailed information about some of those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Huntendune porte (vii cent.),
- Huntendun, Huntandune (x cent.),
- Huntendonia id es Mons Venatorum (xii cent.),
- Huntyngdon (xiii cent.).}
- The on-line Newspaper which covers parts of Huntingdonshire (notably Huntingdon, St. Ives and districts) is the
Cambridge Evening News.
- Huntingdon Borough was part of the Huntingdon Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available,
as fiche set D10, from the
A breakdown of population figures for each of the four parishes of Huntingdon up to 1921 can be found on each of those pagish pages. From 1951 the Borough population figures include the parish of Hartford.
- Population in 1801 - 2035
- Population in 1851 - 4872
- Population in 1901 - 4261
- Population in 1951 - 7784
- Population in 1971 - 13415
- Population in 1991 - 15434
- The Borough of Huntingdon consists of 1074 acres of land.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 17.30 on Tuesday, 03 December 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]