The full 1841 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C101 from the
The full 1851 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C51 from the
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Huntingdon (St. Marys) was enumerated (RG11/1603, Folios 107a - 140b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3, from the
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Huntingdon (St Mary) parish was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9 from the
The church of St. Mary consists of a chancel, 19th century organ chamber and vestry on the north,
nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls of the north aisle and west
tower are of ashlar, and the rest of the church is built of rubble with stone dressings. The roofs
are of lead and tiles.
There are small remains of 12th century buttresses and the north-east, north-west and
south-west corners of the south aisle. The chancel, the nave arcades and the south aisle
were rebuilt in the 13th century. The west tower and south porch were built circa 1385,
and the clearstory was added about 1500. In 1607 the north-east corner of the tower fell
down, destroying the north arcade and the north aisle, all which parts were rebuilt
between the years 1608 to 1620. The organ chamber and vestry were built in 1869 when
the church was generally restored. A further restoration took place in 1876, and small
repairs were done in 1913.
In 1667 it took over the registers of St. Benedicts and became known as St. Mary's & St.
Benedict's. It is now generally referred to simply as "St. Mary's".
See also Huntingdon St. Benedict. Indexed Transcript of Marriages 1593-1691 and (with St. Benedict) 1692-1837, with extracts of Baptisms 1595-1692 and (with St. Benedict) 1692-1761, and Burials 1600-1692 and (with St. Benedict) 1692-1760 are on Search Room shelves (covers all four Huntingdon parishes).
Bishop's Transcripts. (St. Mary & St. Benedict): 1604-6, 1608-9, 1612, 1617, 1619, 1626-7/
(see Huntingdon All Saints & St. John BTs for 1691-1813), 1695, 1716, 1718, 1720, 1722, 1724-6,
1803-13/1813-24/1825-39/1840-44, 1846-8, 1850-2, 1855-7.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in
series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the