GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Huntingdonshire Huntingdonshire   NeighboursNearby places

LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD, (or Leighton-Bromeswold or Leighton), a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 7 miles north of Kimbolton, its post town, and 10 west of Huntingdon. The village, which is small and irregularly built, is situated on a branch of the river Ouse. It is wholly agricultural. At Leighton Gorse is a meet for Earl Fitzwilliam's hounds. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. There is a chalybeate spring, formerly in high repute. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £90, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat edifice, with a tower. There is a National school. Tho trustees of the late John Norris, Esq., are lords of the manor.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Gazetteers

Maps

Military History

Names (Geographical)

Poorhouses and Poor Law Etc

Population

This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014