[Transcribed and edited information from The Victoria County History series- 1932]
"LITTLE CATWORTH, the civil parish of Little Catworth has, since 1885,
been included as part of
Great Catworth. Little Catworth was never a separate ecclesiastical parish but was
chapelry of Stow Longa ancient parish, and it still remains in the parish of Stow
Longa for ecclesiastical
purposes. The ground rises from the Ellington Brook, forming the northern boundary
of the parish, where it is
about 100 ft. above sea-level, to about 250 ft. on the southern boundary.
[Description(s) transcribed by Ian Argall and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
Little Catworth is a very small hamlet on the edge of the village of Catworth which
lies in the middle of the
parish of Catworth
(see - Great Catworth).
An inclosure Act for Little Catworth was passed in 1780 affecting 800 acres of common
fields which were partly in
Great Catworth and partly in Stow Longa. Another Act in 1795 for Great Catford affected
another 2000 acres. The
civil parish of Little Catworth was abolished in 1885, along with Great Catworth,
to help create Catworth civil parish."
- Monumental inscriptions for Little Catworth have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Little Catworth Parish is available as fiche set C87.
- The full 1851 Census of Little Catworth Parish is available as fiche set C37.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Little Catworth was enumerated
(RG11/1612, Folios 24b - 25a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C5.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Kimbolton Registration District (RG12/1243) in which Little
Catworth and Wornditch Hamlet was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C14.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the
- There is no church is Little Catworth. The population used Stow Longa for this purpose.
- There are no church records for Little Catworth; these were generally maintained by Stow Longa of which it was a chapelry.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series:
1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Little Catworth was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Kimbolton sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
- Cateuuorde (xi cent.),
- Cateworth (xii cent.).
- The parish of Little Catworth (or 'Catworth') was part of the St. Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St. Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available as fiche set D11 from the
- Population in 1801 - 21.
- Population in 1851 - 65.
- Population in 1901 - 13.
- Population in 1921 - 11.
The population figures should have been included with Great Catworth from 1885, but were not amalgamated until after 1921.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015