"LITTLE PAXTON, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 2 miles north of St. Neot's, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Great North road and on the river Ouse. There are a flour-mill and extensive paper-mills, giving employment to the chief portion of the inhabitants. The soil consists of clay and gravel, and the surface is level. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1812. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage * of Great Paxton, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a square tower. The parochial charities produce about £36 per annum, realised from town lands. There is an endowed free school. Paxton Hall and Paxton Place are the principal residences.