Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LUDDINGTON, (Luddington in the brook) a parish partly in the hundred of Polebrook, county Northampton, and partly in that of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 5 miles south-east of Oundle, its post town, and 8 north-east of Thrapston. It is a small rustic place. The tithes, with certain exceptions, were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1807. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Peterborough, value £150. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. The charities are shared with the parish of Hemington.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- For details concerning the records of monumental inscriptions for this parish, please contact the Northamptonshire FHS.
- The full 1841 Census of Luddington is available as fiche set C121.
- The full 1851 Census of Luddington is available as fiche set C71.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Oundle Registration District of Northamptonshire, in which Luddington was enumerated (RG11/1584, Folios 74a - 76b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C1.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes) Registration District in which Luddington was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C16.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- An index to the 1851 Census of Luddington, in the Hundred of Navisford and Polebrook, has been published on microfiche by the Northamptonshire Family History Society Publications List.
- St. Margaret's Church, Luddington.
- The church of St Margaret consists of a chancel, clearstoried nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. The building is of rubbled masonry with plain parapets and large grotesque gargoyles. The roofs of the nave and aisle are covered with lead, and the chancel is covered with grey slates. The tower is surmounted by a short broach spire.
- The church is almost entirely of 15th century date, but it appears to have taken the place of a 13th century church, which seems to have had both north and south aisles. The building was completely restored in 1874, the chancel being rebuilt, but four lancet windows (three on the north and one on the south) which survived from the 15th century were retained. The buttresses amd part of the walling on the west end of the nave may belong to the 13th century, the north buttress indicating the line of the former north arcade. The spire dates from the 1874 rebuild, but it is said to be a copy of a spire which had long before been destroyed. Before this restoration, the base remained covered with a slated pyramidal roof.
- There are photographs and further information on St. Margaret's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are all deposited at the Northamptonshire Record Office, Wootton Hall Park, Northampton NN4 9BQ.
- Baptisms: 1672-1812.
- Marriages: 1673-1837.
- Burials: 1635-1812.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1701-1837.
- The parish of Luddington was in the Oundle Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. It is still under Oundle.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Luddington which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL106837 (Lat/Lon: 52.440054, -0.374337), Luddington which are provided by:
- Lullinthone (xi-xiii cent.),
- Lullyngton (xiv cent.),
- Lodyngton in the Brook (xv cent.),
- Leddynton alias Luddyngton
- Lullington (xvi cent.),
- Ludington alias Lullington (xviii cent.).
- The parish of Luddington-in-the-Brook was in the Thrapston Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1801 - 104.
- Population in 1851 - 28 (Huntingdonshire); 102 (Northamptonshire).
- Population in 1901 - 58.
- Population in 1951 - 51.
- Population in 1971 - 45.
- Population in 1991 - 46.