[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LUTTON, (or Luddington-in-the-wold), a parish partly in the hundred of Willybrook, county Northampton, and partly in that of Normancross, county Hunts, 5 miles east of Oundle, its post town, and 6 south-west of Yaxley. It is a small agricultural place. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough, value with that of Washingley annexed, £220. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Earl Fitzwilliam is lord of the manor.
Monumental inscriptions of this parish have not yet been recorded by the Northamptonshire FHS.
The full 1841 Census of Lutton Parish is available as fiche set C90.
The full 1851 Census of Lutton Parish is available as fiche set C40.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Oundle Registration District of Northamptonshire, in which Lutton was enumerated (RG11/1584, Folios 96a - 99b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, as fiche set C1.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes) Registration District in which Lutton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C16.
The church of St. Peter has a chancel, nave with aisles, south porch and west tower. Apart from the tower, the parapets elsewhere are plain, and the roofs are low pitched and leaded. The church stands on the north side of a triangular space at the junction of three roads, around which the village is built.
None of the church seems older that c.1220, but two fragments of 12th century detail are built into the chancel arch and the east end of the south aisle. In the north wall of the tower is part of a cross slab with interlaced ornament of Saxon date. The chancel and north arcade of the nave date from around 1220, whilst the south arcade belongs to the end of that century, and the aisle walls are probably of the same date as their respective arcades. The embattled tower is a 15th century addition.