GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Huntingdonshire Huntingdonshire   NeighboursNearby places

MIDLOE

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"MIDLOE, was extra-parochial, and it still is for ecclesiastical purposes.

The civil parish rises from the River Kym on the south-west and the Diddington Brook on the north-east, and is crossed by a small stream running into the River Ouse. The soil is clay, growing wheat, oats and beans. The land is mostly arable, only a third being pasture with some woodland at Midloe Wood.

There is neither a church nor a village; the sparse population being scattered in farm houses and cottages. Midloe Grange near the southern boundary marks the site of the grange of Warden Abbey mentioned in the 12th century. The present house was built about 1590 and was surrounded by a moat, the east side of which has been filled-in.

The civil parish of Midloe was abolished in 1935 to help create the Southoe and Midloe civil parish. See also Midloe on the extra-parochial page."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Maps

Names (Geographical)

Poorhouses and Poor Law Etc

Population

This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014