[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"OLD HURST, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 5 miles north-east of Huntingdon. The greater part of the parish was formerly woodland. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to St. Ives. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains an old octagonal font.
The full 1841 Census of Oldhurst Parish is available as fiche set C122 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1851 Census of Old Hurst Parish is available as fiche set C72 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Old Hurst was enumerated (RG11/1605, Folios 14a - 16b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fdiche set C4, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Warboys sub-District of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1238) in which Oldhurst was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-10). This is available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The church of St Peter consists of a chancel and nave under one roof, and a modern vestry on the north. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are tiled.
The church or chapel was possibly built by Ralph Mowin who is said to have presented to it in the reign of Henry II (1154-89). The thickness of the north wall suggests that it is of 12th century date, but the church was practically rebuilt and slightly lengthened late in the 13th century. A considerable restoration took place in 1868, and the east wall was rebuilt in 1903. Other works took place in 1924-05.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Old Hurst was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it was in the Warboys sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it comes directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.