[Transcribed and edited information from The Victoria County History series- 1932]
"OLD HURST, the parochial chapelry of Old Hurst (or Oldhurst) lies in the centre of the hundred of Hurstingstone. The land is mostly arable producing wheat, barley and oats. The soil is heavy clay. The land rises to 130 ft. above sea-level on its western boundary from which it slopes down to the low-lying ground around Somersham to the east. Old Hurst and Woodhurst, no doubt from their names, formed at one time a wooded district but there is now virtually no woodland left. They are both chapelries in the parish of Slepe (or St. Ives) and were in existence as such in the 12th century. Parochial rights were obtained shortly before the middle of the 13th century. The chapelty of Old Hurst has now been united with that of Woodhurst. The stone known as the Abbot's Chair is on the boundary between Old Hurst and Woodhurst on the St. Ives road. Here the hundred courts were held. The village, which is now by-passed, stands on high ground at the west side of the parish on the road from Huntingdon to Ramsey, about five and a half miles from Ramsey and three and a half miles from St. Ives. From the village two branch oads connect the rad from Huntingdon with that from St.Ives to Chatteris, and it is around the ring formed by these roads that the village is built. The village is composed of the parochial chapel lying on the north side of the more norrthern of the two branch roads, and some farmhouses, cottages and a Public House. In the late 20th century, much new housing has been added. "