[Transcribed and edited information from The Victoria County History series- 1932]
"ORTON WATERVILLE, the parish of Orton Waterville was separated from Northamptonshire by the River Nene. The altitude varies from 19 ft. to 77 ft. above sea-level, and the village lies about half a mile from the river at about 50 ft. The sub-soil is Oxford clay and Cornbrash. In 1861, Roman tesserae and other remains were dug up, and indicate the presence of a Roman Villa. Various explanations have been given for the name Cherry Orton, but it is interesting to find in a Will dated 1504 that Cherry Week was an established and recognised yearly event in the parish. Its history has always been closely linked with that of Orton Longueville, and the origins of both appear to be from the same source. The parish was inclosed in 1805. There were some changes in the civil boundary in 1956, and in the ecclesiastical boundary in 1959. Orton Waterville is now part of Peterborough Urban area. "