"ORTON WATERVILLE, (or Orton, Cherry), a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 3 miles south-west of Peterborough, its post town, and within half a mile of the Overton station on the London and North Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Peterborough and Oundle road and the river Nen. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. A short time back many were employed in the stone-quarries and gravel pits, but these are now nearly exhausted. The soil is of various qualities, with a subsoil of clay and gravel. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1805. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £354, in the patronage of Pembroke College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure of large dimensions, with a square embattled tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. This manor in 1480 passed from Archbishop Booth to Pembroke College, of which the master and fellows are lords of the manor.