[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"PIDLEY-CUM-FENTON, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 7½ miles north-east of Huntingdon, its post town, 5½ north of St. Ives, and 2 north-west of Somersham. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Fenton, or Penton. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £478. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Somersham, in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a school, partially endowed by Richard Brocklesby in 1713."
"FENTON, a hamlet in the parish of Pidley cum Fenton, hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 4 miles south-east of Ramsey. It was until recently a distinct parish."
The full 1851 Census of Pidley-cum-Fenton Parish is available as Fiche Set C72 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Pidley (RG11/1606, Folios 84a - 89b) and Fenton (RG11/1606, Folios 89b - 93a) were enumerated, and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4 from the Huntingdonshire HFS.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Somersham sub-District of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1239) in which Pidley-cum-Fenton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-11). This is available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The ancient church of All Saints consisted of a chancel, nave, south porch and bell-turret of wood at the west end. The south doorway of the chancel and the north doorway of the nave were of the 12th century; the south doorway of the nave was late on the same century. The east window was of 14th century and of three lights. The remaining features were of 15th century date.
This church was pulled down in 1863, and a new church was erected on the same site in 1864/5. The present church consists of a chancel with vestry on the north, nave, west tower and south porch. The walls are of stone faced internally with brick, and the roofs, including the spire, are covered with tiles. The only features of the old church which have been preserved are the 14th century square-headed two-light windows reset in the west wall of the vestry, and a scratched circular sun-dial in the north wall, but much of the stone facing is obviously of old material re-used.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Pidley-cum-Fenton was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it came under the Somersham sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it has come directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.