[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"PIDLEY-CUM-FENTON, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county
Huntingdon, 7½ miles north-east of Huntingdon, its post town, 5½ north of St. Ives,
and 2 north-west of Somersham. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly
agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Fenton, or Penton. The
tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £478. The living is a curacy
annexed to the rectory* of Somersham, in the diocese of Ely. The church is
dedicated to All Saints. There is a school, partially endowed by Richard
Brocklesby in 1713."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"FENTON, a hamlet in the parish of Pidley cum Fenton, hundred of Hurstingstone, county
Huntingdon, 4 miles south-east of Ramsey. It was until recently a distinct
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental inscriptions for the parish of Pidley-cum-Fenton have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Pidley-cum-Fenton Parish is included Fiche Set C122 from the
Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall.
- The full 1851 Census of Pidley-cum-Fenton Parish is available as Fiche Set C72 from the
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Pidley
(RG11/1606, Folios 84a - 89b) and Fenton (RG11/1606, Folios 89b - 93a) were enumerated, and
which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4 from the
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Somersham sub-District of the St. Ives
Registration District (RG12/1239) in which Pidley-cum-Fenton was enumerated, and which
took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche
C-11). This is available from the
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL327784.
- The ancient church of All Saints consisted of a chancel, nave, south porch and bell-turret
of wood at the west end. The south doorway of the chancel and the north doorway of the nave
were of the 12th century; the south doorway of the nave was late on the same century. The
east window was of 14th century and of three lights. The remaining features were of 15th
- This church was pulled down in 1863, and a new church was erected on the same site in 1864/5.
The present church consists of a chancel with vestry on the north, nave, west tower and south
porch. The walls are of stone faced internally with brick, and the roofs, including the spire,
are covered with tiles. The only features of the old church which have been preserved are the
14th century square-headed two-light windows reset in the west wall of the vestry, and a
scratched circular sun-dial in the north wall, but much of the stone facing is obviously
of old material re-used.
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1558-1812 (indexed),
Baptisms for 1813-1831 are missing,
- Banns: 1655-1686 (indexed), 1754-1788, 1788-1818, 1824-1890.
- Marriages: 1558-1837 (indexed), 1754-1788, 1788-1812.
- Burials: 1558-1812 (indexed).
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608, 1610, 1612, 1617-19, 1629, 1665-8/1682, 1684, 1690-1700, 1702, 1704-16, 1720, 1724-44, 1746-56/1757-75, 1778, 1780-1805, 1807-13/1813-20/1821-37, 1841-3, 1846-62.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings
in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Pidley-cum-Fenton was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it came under the Somersham sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it has come directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.
- A GENWEB page on
Pidley is available.
The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Piddele et Fenton (xiii cent.),
- Fenton (xiv cent.)
- Pidley-cum-Fenton was part of the St. Ives Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and deaths registered in the St Ives Union Workhouse (1836 - 1913) are available,
as fiche set D9, from the
- Population in 1801 - 264.
- Population in 1851 - 583.
- Population in 1901 - 363.
- Population in 1951 - 399.
- Population in 1971 - 317.
- Population in 1991 - 340.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014