[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"SAWTRY ALL SAINTS, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 3 miles south of Stilton. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the road to York. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. About half the land is arable, and the remainder rich meadow and fenny pasture. The soil is a strong clay. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1804. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £189. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a tower and a low spire. It contains three ancient stalls, and the brass of a knight bearing date 1404. There are National schools, built in 1840.
The full 1841 Census of Sawtry is available as fiche set C111.
The full 1851 Census of Sawtry is available as fiche set C61.
A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Sawtry All Saints was enumerated (RG11/1601, Folios 36a - 54a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Sawtry sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1235) in which Sawtry (All Saints) was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-7).
The previous church of Sawtry All Saints consisted of a chancel, nave, north and south transepts, north and south aisles and a western tower with a low broach spire. The tower and spire had been rebuilt in 1683, at which time, presumably, the aisles were destroyed. The chancel was rebuilt about 1810.
The chancel of c.1810 was built of large stones but had no buttresses; its roof was covered in tiles which overhung at eaves and gable, and it was ceiled inside with a flat plaster ceiling which came much below the apex of the chancel arch. The west tower of 1683 was probably built of re-used 14th century material. It had no buttresses except at the north-east and south-east corners, where parts of the west wall of the nave and of the former aisles had been re-modelled as large buttresses. Various coffin slabs from Sawtry Abbey were placed in the church in 1850, with more which were already there, but reversed in the pavement. This church was pulled down in 1879, when a replacement was built.
The modern church consists of a chancel, organ chamber and vestry on the north, nave, and north aisle. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone-dressings, and the roofs are covered with tile. The bell came from the old church and is probably 14th century in date.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.