GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
    Huntingdonshire Huntingdonshire   NeighboursNearby places


[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"SOUTHOE, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 7 miles south-west of Huntingdon, its post town, and 3 north-west of St. Neot's. It is situated near the river Ouse, on the Great North-road from London to York. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Southoe was formerly held by the Lovetots, John of Gaunt, and the Pickerings. The living is a vicarage with that of Hail Weston annexed, in the diocese of Ely, value £288. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower containing a clock and four bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. R. W. Standley, Esq., is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010




Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration



Names (Geographical)

Poorhouses and Poor Law Etc


This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014