[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"ST. IVES, a parish and small market town in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Hunts, 6 miles east of Huntingdon, and 59 north of London by road, or 72 by the Great Eastern railway, on which it is a station. The Great Northern railway also has a station at Huntingdon for St. Ives; and there is a wharf on the river Ouse, by means of which navigation considerable business is done. In the Saxon times this place was called Slepe, which name is retained by one of the two manors comprehended in the parish, and by that appellation is mentioned in Domesday Book. Its more modern name is derived from Ivo, or St. Ives, a Persian ecclesiastic, who is said to have visited England as a missionary in the 6th century, and to have been buried here. Over his grave a Benedictine priory was erected in 1017 by Earl Edelmar, as a cell to Ramsey Abbey, which, having been burnt in 1207, was rebuilt and continued till the Dissolution, when the site was granted to Sir Thomas Audley. The priory barn and dovecote, with some fragments of the building, are still standing, but present no remarkable features." (There is more of this description).
Monumental Inscriptions from the Churchyard have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. Those from the St. Ives (Broad Leas) Municipal Cemetery (approximately 1002 entries) are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.. The War Memorial inscriptions for this parish are available on-line.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which St Ives (RG11/1608, Folios 4a - 77a), at the St.Ives Union (RG11/1609, Folios 51a-53b) were enumerated, and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche set C4 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1234) in which both the St. Ives parish and the St Ives Union Workhouse were enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-12). This is available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, nave, north chapel, north aisle, south aisle, west tower, north and south porches and a relatively modern (1896) vestry on the north. The walls are chiefly of rubble with stone dressing, but the tower is of ashlar. The roofs are covered in lead.
Although the church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, the earliest existing portion is the 12th century respond, now built into the north-west respond of the nave which shows that there was an aisled church on this site at that period. A 13th century arch in the north wall of the chancel was rebuilt in the 14th century, and the east window of the south aisle is of the same period. The rest of the church was rebuilt about 1470 when the chancel walls were raised to correspond. These chancel walls are chiefly of 14th century date. The north porch is largely modern but contain small portions of the original 15th century porch.
The spire was blown down in a gale in 1741 and was rebuilt in 1748; it was again rebuilt in 1879. In 1918 it was knocked down by an aeroplane and was entirely rebuilt of new stone in 1924.
St. Ives Parish Registers (births, marriages and burials) 1561-1653, on 4 microfiche are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS as fiche set D39.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The parish Sexton's Notebook for the years 1802 - 1843 (HRO 3734/1/39) is available from the Huntingdonshire FHS as fiche set D57.
St Ives parish was in the St Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837 until 1965, when it became a sub-district of Huntingdon. On 1st April 1997, it was abolished and came directly under Huntingdon District.