[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STANGROUND, (or Standground) a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 11 mile south of Peterborough, its post town, and 5 miles from Whittlesey. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the Ely railway and the river Nen. The parish includes the chapelry of Farcet. At Horsey Grange are traces of a stronghold. The soil is rich and productive. The living is a vicarage,* with the curacy of Farcet annexed, in the diocese of Ely, value £1,299, in the patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a lofty spired tower. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school. The Baptists have a place of worship. W. Laurence, Esq., of Fletton Tower, is lord of the manor.
"FARCET, a chapelry in the parish of Stanground, hundred of Norman-Cross, county Huntingdon, 3 miles south-east of Peterborough, its post town, and 5 south-west of Whittlesea. It is situated on the banks of the river Nen. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Standground, in the diocese of Ely. The church is an ancient Gothic structure. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have each a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes, partly endowed. Lord Say and Sele is lord of the manor. See also the Farcet Parish page.
"PONDERSBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Stanground, hundred of Norman-Cross, county Huntingdon. This hamlet was later transferred to the parish of Farcet when it was formed in 1866."
The full 1841 Census of Stanground Parish is available as fiche set C94 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1851 Census of Stanground Parish is available as fiche set C44 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Stanground was enumerated (Folios 222B-229B, 233B-245 and 249B-257), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS. The Index is available from www.peterborofhs.org.uk in either microfiche or A5 booklet form. Please state which version you want.
The church of St John the Baptist consists of a chancel, with north chapel and north vestry, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with slates and lead. The church is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, but nothing remains of this early church. A 12th century capital, turned upside down under the north-west respond of the nave, may represent a 12th century nave and aisle, and many of the stones of the south arcade indicate a 13th century south aisle. The whole church was probably built on a larger scale than before in the first decade of the 14th century. The rood-stairs were added in the 15th century. The church was restored in 1872, and the south porch rebuilt in 1876. The top of the spire was rebuilt in 1895 and the tower and spire were restored again in 1907. Except where otherwise stated, all the features are of circa 1300 - 1310.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.