[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STANGROUND, (or Standground) a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon,
mile south of Peterborough, its post town, and 5 miles from Whittlesey. The
village, which is considerable, is situated on the Ely railway and the
river Nen. The parish includes the chapelry of Farcet. At Horsey Grange are
traces of a stronghold. The soil is rich and productive. The living is a
vicarage,* with the curacy of Farcet annexed, in the diocese of Ely, value
£1,299, in the patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge. The church,
dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a lofty
spired tower. There is a National school for both sexes, and a
Sunday-school. The Baptists have a place of worship. W. Laurence, Esq., of
Fletton Tower, is lord of the manor.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"FARCET, a chapelry in the parish of Stanground, hundred of Norman-Cross,
county Huntingdon, 3 miles south-east of Peterborough, its post town, and 5 south-west
of Whittlesea. It is situated on the banks of the river Nen. The living is
a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Standground, in the diocese of Ely. The
church is an ancient Gothic structure. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians
have each a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes, partly
endowed. Lord Say and Sele is lord of the manor. See also the
Farcet Parish page.
"PONDERSBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Stanground, hundred of Norman-Cross, county
hamlet was later transferred to the
parish of Farcet when it was formed in 1866."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. However,
Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Stanground Parish is available as fiche set C94 from the
- The full 1851 Census of Stanground Parish is available as fiche set C44 from the
- An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District
(HO107/1747) in which Stanground was enumerated (Folios 222B-229B, 233B-245 and 249B-257),
and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough &
District FHS. The Index is available from
www.peterborofhs.org.uk in either microfiche
or A5 booklet form. Please state which version you want.
- The Church of St. John the Baptist, Stanground.
- The church of St John the Baptist consists of a chancel, with north chapel and north vestry,
nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of coursed rubble
with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with slates and lead. The church is mentioned
in the Domesday Book of 1086, but nothing remains of this early church. A 12th century capital,
turned upside down under the north-west respond of the nave, may represent a 12th century
nave and aisle, and many of the stones of the south arcade indicate a 13th century south aisle.
The whole church was probably built on a larger scale than before in the first decade of the
14th century. The rood-stairs were added in the 15th century. The church was restored in 1872,
and the south porch rebuilt in 1876. The top of the spire was rebuilt in 1895 and the tower
and spire were restored again in 1907. Except where otherwise stated, all the features are
of circa 1300 - 1310.
- There are
photographs and further information on St. John the Baptist's Church on Rob's Churches website.
See also Farcet.
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1538-1643 (includes a few entries 1644-1662), 1653-1657, 1660-1812, 1813-1844,
1845-1870, 1870-1895, 1895-1921, 1921-1944, 1944-1959, 1959-1979.
- Banns: 1754-1812, 1824-1864, 1865-1897.
- Marriages: 1538-1643, 1653-1656, 1662-1754, 1754-1812, 1813-1837, 1837-1903, 1903-1916,
1917-1927, 1927-1938, 1938-1947, 1947-1955, 1955-1960, 1960-1965, 1965-1968.
- Burials: 1538-1643?, 1653-1657, 1660-1812, 1813-1862, 1862-1968.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1610, 1617-19, 1625-7, (1660-8)/1659/77, 1679-80, 1682-3,
1685-6, 1688-90, 1692-8, 1700, 1702-4, 1706, 1708-14, 1717-60/1760-1813/1813-24/1825-42,
1846, 1851, 1853-8.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings
in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Stanground has been in the Peterborough Registration District continuously since 1st July 1837.
The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Stangrun (1086),
- Stangrund (xi - xiv cent.),
- Standgrund (xiii cent.),
- Stanground (xiv cent.).
- The parish of Stanground was in the Peterborough Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1801 - 544.
- Population in 1851 - 1006.
- Population in 1901 - 1492.
Population figures from 1951 are included as part of Fletton Urban District of Peterborough, and later as part of Peterborough City itself.
- The civil parish of Stanground, known as Stanground Township, occupied 969 acres of land.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 23.00 on Wednesday, 13 November 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]