[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STEEPLE GIDDING, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 7 miles south-west of Stilton, its post town, and 10 south-east of Oundle. This was a seat of the Cotton family. The parish is of small extent, and the population wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £175. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £199. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure. It contains several monuments of the Cottons. Here is a day school for the children of the parish. J. Heathcote, Esq., is lord of the manor."
The full 1841 Census of Steeple Gidding Parish is available as fiche set C95.
The full 1851 Census of Steeple Gidding Parish is available as fiche set C45.
A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Steeple Gidding was enumerated (RG11/1601, Folios 68a - 70b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Sawtry sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1235) in which Steeple Gidding was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C7.
The church of St Andrew consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle and west tower. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with lead and tiles.
The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but there was evidently a small stone church here in the 12th century of which part of the arch of the south doorway remains. It must have had a tower and steeple before 1260, by which date the parish had already obtained its distinctive name.
The whole church was rebuilt during the 14th century, beginning, in the opening years, with the building of the south aisle and arcade, and ending, nearly 100 years later, with the rebuilding of the tower and spire together with the north-west corner of the nave.
The chancel, nave and aisles were restored again and the porch rebuilt in 1874, and the tower and spire were restored in 1899.
The parish of Steeple Gidding was originaly in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Sawtry sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it once again is directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.