[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STIBBINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 9 miles from Peterborough, the same distance from Oundle, and 1 mile east of Wansford, its post town and railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the great north road, and on the navigable river Nen. The parish includes the hamlet of Sibson, and part of the village of Wansford. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £431. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is of great antiquity, and of late years has been restored. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
"SIBSON, a hamlet in the parish of Stibbington, hundred of Norman-Cross, county Hunts, 6 miles west of Peterborough, and 1½ mile south-east of Wanstead station, on the London and North Western railway, on the river Nen."
The full 1841 Census of Sibson-cum-Stibbington Parish is available as fiche set C82 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1851 Census of Sibson-cum-Stibbington Parish is available as fiche set C32 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes) Registration District, in which Stibbington was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available, as Fiche C-16, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The church of St John the Baptist consists of a chancel with vestry and organ chamber on the north, a nave, north aisle with northern annex, south aisle and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with stone slates.
The church, and that that was formerly at Sibson, are both mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but apparently the church was rebuilt in stone as a chancel and aisleless nave in the middle of the 12th century, and the nave of this period remains. In about 1180 a north aisle was added. In 1240 the chancel was rebuilt on a larger scale with its axis further to the south, and some 20 years later a south aisle was added to the nave. A west tower was also added, probably in the 15th century.
In 1848-49, the west tower was pulled down, the two aisles rebuilt and the vestry, organ chamber and porch built. At the same time, a timber bell-cote was added to the nave roof.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Sibson-cum-Stibbington was originally in the Stamford Registration District of Lincolnshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Barnack sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was then later transferred to the Peterborough Registration District.
From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Stibbington which are provided by: