[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STIBBINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 9
miles from Peterborough, the same distance from Oundle, and 1 mile east of
Wansford, its post town and railway station. The village, which is small,
is situated on the great north road, and on the
navigable river Nen. The parish includes the hamlet of Sibson, and part of
the village of Wansford. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely,
value £431. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is of great
antiquity, and of late years has been restored. The parochial charities
produce about £9 per annum. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor. There
is a Wesleyan chapel.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"SIBSON, a hamlet in the parish of Stibbington, hundred of Norman-Cross,
county Hunts, 6 miles west of Peterborough, and 1½ mile south-east of Wanstead
station, on the London and North Western railway, on the river Nen."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. However,
Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Sibson-cum-Stibbington Parish is available as fiche set C82 from the
- The full 1851 Census of Sibson-cum-Stibbington Parish is available as fiche set C32 from the
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes)
Registration District, in which Stibbington was enumerated, and which took place on 5th
April 1891, is available, as Fiche C-16, from the
- The Church of St. John the Baptist, Stibbington.
- The church of St John the Baptist consists of a chancel with vestry and organ chamber on the north, a nave,
north aisle with northern annex, south aisle and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings,
and the roofs are covered with stone slates.
- The church, and that that was formerly at Sibson, are both mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but
apparently the church was rebuilt in stone as a chancel and aisleless nave in the middle of the 12th century,
and the nave of this period remains. In about 1180 a north aisle was added. In 1240 the chancel was rebuilt
on a larger scale with its axis further to the south, and some 20 years later a south aisle was added to the
nave. A west tower was also added, probably in the 15th century.
- In 1848-49, the west tower was pulled down, the two aisles rebuilt and the vestry, organ chamber and porch built.
At the same time, a timber bell-cote was added to the nave roof.
- There are
photographs and further information on St. John's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1595-1705, 1706-1792, 1793-1812, 1813-1853.
- Banns: 1755-1781 (microfilm), 1823-1889.
- Marriages: 1596-1705, 1706-1753, 1755-1780 (microfilm), 1782-1812, 1813-1837, 1837-1963.
- Burials: 1596-1705/6, 1706-1792/3, 1793-1812, 1813-1895.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1605, 1607-8, 1612, 1617-19, 1625-7, 1660-8/1679-80, 1682-5, 1685, 1690-1, 1693-5, 1698-1702, 1704-6, 1708-19, 1721-85, 1787-1803, 1805-1813/1813-24/1825-47, 1849-66.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series:
1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Sibson-cum-Stibbington was originally in the Stamford Registration District of Lincolnshire from 1st July 1837.
Subsequently it was transferred to the Barnack sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was then later transferred to
the Peterborough Registration District.
- From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records
were retained by Peterborough.
The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Stebintone (xi cent.),
- Stybyngton (xiv cent.),
- Stepington (xvi cent.).
- Siberstune (xi-xii cents.),
- Sybston (xvi cent.).
- Walmesford (xiii cent.),
- Wanesford (xvi cent.).
- The parish of Sibson-cum-Stibbington was in the Stamford Union of Lincolnshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1801 - 324.
- Population in 1851 - 790.
- Population in 1901 - 426.
- Population in 1951 - 682.
- Population in 1971 - 388.
- Population in 1991 - 461.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014