[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STOW LONGA, (or Stow or Long Stow) a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county
miles north-east of Kimbolton, and 10 south-west of Bugden. The parish includes the
hamlet of Little Catworth. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese
of Ely, value £70, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated
to St. Botolph. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There
is a chapel for Dissenters. The Duke of Manchester, J. Read, Esq., and
others, are lords of the manor.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"LITTLE CATWORTH, a chapelry in the parish of Stow Longa, hundred of
Leightonstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 1 mile from Great Catworth.
Little Catworth Parish page.
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental inscriptions for the parish of Stow Longa have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Stow Longa Parish is available as fiche set C89 from the
- The full 1851 Census of Stow Longa Parish is available as fiche set C39 from the
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Stow Longa was enumerated (RG11/1612, Folios 20a - 23a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C-5, from the
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Kimbolton Registration District (RG12/1243) in which Stow Longa was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is also available, as fiche set C14, from the
- St. Botolph's Church, Stow Longa.
- OS Grid Square TL 107712.
- The church of St. Botolph consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel, south aisle and west tower. The
walls are of coursed rubble and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
- The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but the existence of a pre-conquest slab with interlaced
work seems to indicate an early church on the site, whilst numerous remains of the 12th century date point conclusively
to a stone church at that period. The whole church was apparently rebuilt about the middle of the 13th century; the
south arcade and the south aisle were built last around 1280. About 1330, the eastern end of the south aisle was
rebuilt and widened to form a south chapel; about the same time, new windows were inserted into the aisle walls.
In the 15th century, the south arcade was rebuilt, probably after a fall, and the clearstory was added. The west
tower was built and the western responds to the nave arcades were rebuilt around 1500.
- Sometime, probably in the 17th century, the upper part of the clearstory and the nave roof fell or were taken down
and a poor barn-like roof was put on. The chancel and chancel arch were largely rebuilt in 1880, and the rest of the
church was restored from 1888 to 1893, when the south chapel and the east wall of the north aisle were largely rebuilt.
In 1901, the upper part of the clearstory was rebuilt and reroofed, the aisles repaired and reroofed, and the south
door reset. The north-west corner of the north aisle was partly rebuilt in 1906.
Registers include some entries for Little Catworth
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1698-1812 (indexed), 1813-1877 (microfilm).
- Banns: 1754-1812, 1940, 1971-72, (1825-1881 on microfilm).
- Marriages: 1699-1837 (indexed), 1754-1812, 1838-1955.
- Burials: 1698-1811 (indexed), 1811-1877.
- Bishop's Transcripts (includes some for Little Catworth): 1604-5, 1607-9, 1612, 1614, 1617-19, 1626-7, 1
631, 1749, 1761-2, 1813-13/1813-24/1825-38, 1854-7.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series:
1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Stow Longa was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Kimbolton sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Estou (xi cent.),
- Stow Longa (xiii-xvii cent.),
- Long Stow (xix cent.).
- Before 1955, was generally known as "Stow" for civil purposes, but always as "Stow Longa ancient parish" for ecclesiastical purposes.
- Sometimes the parish is now known as 'Stow Longa with Little Catworth'.}
- The parish of Stow Longa was part of the St Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available, as fiche set D11, from the
- Population in 1801 - 139.
- Population in 1851 - 239.
- Population in 1901 - 109.
- Population in 1951 - 84.
- Population in 1971 - 118.
- Population in 1991 - 116.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015