[Transcribed and edited information from The Victoria County History series- 1932]
"THURNING, the parish of Thurning was formerly partly in Northamptonshire and part was in Huntingdonshire (Leightonstone Hundred), the church being in the latter county. In 1888, however, the Huntingdonshire part was transferred to Northamptonshire. The soil is clay upon which wheat and barley, beans and peas are grown. the land rises gradually from north to south from about 150 ft. to 240 ft. above ordnance datum, with the village standing at about 220 ft. The village lies about five and a half miles south-east of Oundle at the crossing of the roads from Barnwell St Andrew to Alconbury, and from Clapton to Luddington-in-the-Brook. The church stands to the south of the village. the rectory house, which is to the east of the church, is a two-story building of timber and plaster with a reed-thatched roof, probably of later 15th century date, but partly refaced in yellow brick with single-story brick additions. It has been the rectory since the 17th century, to which period the stone tithe-barn on the north side of the house apparently belongs. Sir William Thirning, a prominent lawyer and judge of the Common Pleas in the time of Richard II and Henry IV, is supposed to have belonged to this place, but nothing is definately known. He took a prominent part in the deposition of Richard II in 1399, and he died in 1413. In the Domesday Book, the greater part of the land of Thurning is recorded under Huntingdonshire. Pope Eugenius III in 1147 confirmed lands in Thurning and Winwick to St Mary's Priory in Huntingdon. "