Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"TOSELAND, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Huntingdon, 5 miles north-east of St. Neot's, and 53 from London. The village is situated near the ancient Ermine Street. The surface, though elevated, is level, and the soil chiefly a strong clay. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Great Paxton, in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a Sunday-school, and the Wesleyans have a chapel."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental Inscriptions from the Parish Churchyard (approximately 89 entries) are available as fiche set M25 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Toseland Parish is available as fiche set C107.
- The full 1851 Census of Toseland Parish is available as fiche set C57.
- The full 1891 Census of Toseland Parish is available as fiche set C13.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Toseland was enumerated (RG11/1611, Folios 39b - 42b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C5.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 239626.
- The church of St Mary consists of a chancel with vestry on the north, and nave. The walls are of pebble rubble except the north wall of the nave which is of brick. The roofs are covered with tiles.
- The church, which is a chapelry of Great Paxton, was apparently entirely of 12th century date, but by the middle of the 19th century it had lost its chancel and consisted simply of a nave with a hipped roof surmounted by a bell-turret. the north wall of the nave appears to have been rebuilt in the 18th century. In 1873, it was thoroughly restored and the chancel rebuilt. the vestry was added in 1897, and the nave seats were put in in 1907-8.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1567-1837 (indexed transcriptions).
- Marriages: 1567-1836 (indexed transcriptions), (1674-1706 with Great Paxton), 1838-1900.
- Burials: 1581-1837 (indexed transcriptions), (1674-1714 are with Great Paxton).
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608, 1610, 1612, 1617-19, 1625, 1661-70, 1672-3/1673-80, 1682-3, 1685-6, 1690-3, 1695-7, 1699-1702, 1704, 1706, 1708-9, 1711-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-32, 1734-43, 1745-50, 1754, 1756, 1765-6, 1768-73, 1775-6, 1778-85, 1787-1813/1813-1822, 1824/1826-7, 1829-41, 1844-53, 1855-8, Note: 1751, 1753, 1755, 1757-64 are included with Great Paxton.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Toseland was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837, which later became a sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
- A GENWEB page for Toseland is available.
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Toleslund (xi cent.),
- Toulisloud (xii cent.),
- Touseland (xiv cent.),
- Towesland (xvi cent.).
- The parish of Toseland was part of the St Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available as fiche set D11, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Population in 1801 - 99.
- Population in 1851 - 230.
- Population in 1901 - 174.
- Population in 1951 - 121.
- Population in 1971 - 101.
- Population in 1991 - 84.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Toseland which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL240626 (Lat/Lon: 52.247580, -0.185087), Toseland which are provided by: