[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"TOSELAND, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Huntingdon, 5 miles north-east of St. Neot's, and 53 from London. The village is situated near the ancient Ermine Street. The surface, though elevated, is level, and the soil chiefly a strong clay. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Great Paxton, in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a Sunday-school, and the Wesleyans have a chapel."
The full 1841 Census of Toseland Parish is available as fiche set C107.
The full 1851 Census of Toseland Parish is available as fiche set C57.
The full 1891 Census of Toseland Parish is available as fiche set C13.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Toseland was enumerated (RG11/1611, Folios 39b - 42b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C5.
The church of St Mary consists of a chancel with vestry on the north, and nave. The walls are of pebble rubble except the north wall of the nave which is of brick. The roofs are covered with tiles.
The church, which is a chapelry of Great Paxton, was apparently entirely of 12th century date, but by the middle of the 19th century it had lost its chancel and consisted simply of a nave with a hipped roof surmounted by a bell-turret. the north wall of the nave appears to have been rebuilt in the 18th century. In 1873, it was thoroughly restored and the chancel rebuilt. the vestry was added in 1897, and the nave seats were put in in 1907-8.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.