GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Huntingdonshire Huntingdonshire   NeighboursNearby places

WARBOYS

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"WARBOYS, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 7 miles north-east of Huntingdon, its post town, and 4 south-east of Ramsey. Warboys, formerly spelt Wardeboys, was held by the Hallidays in the 13th century under David of Scotland. A portion of the land is in wood. The soil in the high lands is clay, and in the low grounds fen. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £1,250. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains the brass of a priest, two tombs of the Lemans by Bacon, and some old stained glass. The living was once held by Archdeacon Johnson, chaplain to Charles II. The parochial charities produce about £36 per annum. There are National and infant schools. The Particular Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The Rev. H. C. Jones is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Maps

Military History

Names (Geographical)

Poorhouses and Poor Law Etc

Population

This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014