[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WARESLEY, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 7 miles south-west of Caxton, its post town, 4 north-east of Potton, and 7 south-east of St. Neot's. The village is situated on the main road from Biggleswade to St. Ives. The Cambridgeshire hounds meet in this parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £303, in the patronage of Pembroke College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial charities consist in some poors' cottages. There are parochial and Sunday schools. Lord Duncombe is lord of the manor."
The full 1841 Census of Waresley Parish is available as fiche set C80.
The full 1851 Census of Waresley Parish is included as fiche set C30.
The full 1891 Census of Waresley Parish is available as fiche set C13.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Waresley was enumerated (RG11/1611, Folios 122a - 126b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C5.
The ancient church which appears to have been dedicated to St Andrew, but later was generally spoken of as St James the Great, stood at the east end of the village. It was destroyed by a storm in 1724 and in 1728 was rebuilt 'in humble imitation of Pembroke College' (Cambridge). It had only one small bell without a wheel.
This church was pulled down and a new church was built on another site in 1856, but the ancient churchyard continued to be used as a burial ground.
The present church of St James consists of a chancel with vestry and organ chamber on the north, nave with north aisle and a large mortuary chapel on the south, and a tower with spire on the west end of the north aisle. The walls are of stone and the roof is covered with slate; the spire being of timber covered with oak shingles. There are three bells. The church is adorned with numerous monuments.
The church and priest of Waresley were mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.