Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WASHINGLEY, a parish in the hundred of Norman-Cross, county Huntingdon, 2 miles north-west of Stilton, its post town, and 14½ north-west of Huntingdon. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Lutton, in the diocese of Peterborough. There is no church. The Hall was formerly the residence of Sir T. G. Apreece, Bart., but has remained untenanted for several rears."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- There are no monumental inscriptions in Washingley parish.
- Census information of this parish (1841 - 1891) is available from the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Washingly Parish is available as fiche set C90.
- The full 1851 Census of Washingley Parish is available as fiche set C40.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Washingley was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15).
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church of Washingley is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but it has long since disappeared and nothing is known of its architectural form. It is believed to have stood in Chapel Close near the Keeper's Lodge.
- In 1447 it was said to have been vacant and, on account of the smallness of the living, it had been annexed to Lutton in Northamptonshire. By 1534 the church was described as having fallen down and broken such that it could not be used for divine services. It was locally believed that the materials were removed to Lutton and Yaxley, and two monuments in the former church dated 1603 and 1633 are said to have been removed from this chapel, but it would seem more likely that they were originally put up at Lutton.
- In the Folkesworth Register, a marriage is recorded in Washingley chapel in 1735 but it is incredible that the church could have been standing then. The reference is possibly to a private chapel in Washingley Hall. In 1739, Washingley people were married at Caldecote.
- There are no church records for Washingley. The inhabitants used Caldecote and Folkesworth parish churches.
- The parish of Washingley was in the Peterborough Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Stilton sub-District. It is now again part of the Peterborough Registration District, where it is still kept apart from Folksworth.
- The Stilton Memorial Hall covers the men who fell from Stilton, Folksworth, Morbourne, Washingley, Denton and Caldecot and contains detailed information for World War 1 and World War 2.
- Wasinglei (x cent.),
- Wassinglai (xii cent.),
- Wassyngele (xv cent.).
- The parish of Washingley was in the Peterborough Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1801 - 95.
- Population in 1851 - 88.Population in 1901 - 61.
- Population in 1931 - 69.
- From 1935, the population of Washingley were counted as part of Folksworth.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Washingley which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL136892 (Lat/Lon: 52.488864, -0.328351), Washingley which are provided by: