[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WATER-NEWTON, a parish in the hundred of Normancross, county Hunts, 6 miles south-west of Peterborough, and 5 north by west of Stilton. It is situated on Billing-Brook, and the river Nene skirts the parish. The village is inconsiderable, and wholly agricultural. There are quarries of building-stone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £231. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £270. The church, dedicated to St. Remigius, is a small plain structure. There is a village school. Roman coins and fragments of tesselated pavement have been found."
The full 1841 Census of Water Newton Parish is available as fiche set C82 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1851 Census of Water Newton Parish is available as fiche set C32 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Water Newton was enumerated (Folios 14B - 18), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form. Please state which version you want.
The Census is available from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Waternewton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15). This is available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The church of St. Remigius comsists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with stone slates and lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, and numerous 12th century stones have been reused or built into later walls, but nothing of this date remains in-situ. The chancel and nave were rebuilt, and presumably he two aisles were added, during the 13th century. To this church, the west tower was added early in the 14th century.
In 1887, the greater part of the north aisle and its arcade were rebuilt, and the whole church was generally restored. The tower was restored in 1892.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Water Newton was originally in the Peterborough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.
From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Water Newton which are provided by: