"WINWICK lies on the western borders of Huntingdonshire adjoining Northamptonshire. Part of the parish (some 959 acres) was formerly included in Polebrook Hundred (Northamptonshire) but was wholly transferred to Huntingdonshire in 1888. Hamerton and Old Weston are situated to the south of it and the Giddings to the east. The Alconbury Brook forms its northern end of its eastern boundary, the land along its banks being liable to floods. The village is four and a half miles south east of Barnwell, 7 miles south-east of Oundle and 7.5 miles north of Kimbolton. It lies near to the centre of the parish on a road running north-west to south-east. At the eastern side of the village is the church of All Saints. At the northern end is the Three Horseshoes Inn. The Manor House is also situated near he church in a north-westerly direction. The parish lies at a level of about 112 ft. to 225 ft. above sea level. Its soil and sub-soil are stiff clay. The chief crops grown are wheat, barley and beans. The registers mention 'the outbreak of plague at Winwick anno domini 1546 when 40 people, including the vicar, were buried between March and August'. Family researchers should be aware that there is another separate parish of Winwick, which is wholly within Northamptonshire on the Warwickshire border."