[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WOODHURST, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Hunts, 4 miles north of St. Ives. The village is situated on the road to St. Ives, near the old stone which gives name to the hundred, the inscription on which is still legible. The living is a curacy, united with that of Old Hurst to the vicarage of St. Ives. The church was dedicated to All Saints. There is a National school."
The full transcription of the 1841 Census of Woodhurst Parish is available as fiche set C122.
The full transcription of the 1851 Census of Woodhurst Parish is available as fiche set C72.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Woodhurst was enumerated (RG11/1606, Folios 97a - 104a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Somersham sub-District of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1239) in which Woodhurst was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-11).
The church of St. John the Baptist consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle and modern south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with lead and tiles. The modern chancel is of brick.
The Domesday survey of 1086 indicates two churches in St. Ives, one probably being the chapel of Woodhurst, but the oldest parts of the present building are the nave, built in the late 12th century and the south arcade in the middle 13th century. The aisle was rebuilt late in the 14th century, the timber bell-turret is probably early 17th century, and the chancel and south porch are early 20th century. The church was restored in 1871.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Woodhurst was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it was in the Somersham sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it comes directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.