Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WOODSTON, (or Woodstone) a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Hunts, three-quarters of a mile south-west of Peterborough. The village is situated on the river Nene, and the road from Oundle to Peterborough. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, has been recently rebuilt. The charities produce about £50 per annum, the bequest of John and Mary Walsham in 17 28. There is a school with a small endowment. Mrs. Margaret Thompson is lady of the manor.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. However, Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Woodston Parish is available as fiche set C106 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full 1851 Census of Woodston Parish is available as fiche set C56 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Woodston was enumerated (Folios 280B-288B), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS
- The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England.
- St. Augustine's Church, Woodston.
- The church of St Augustine consists of a chancel with chapel and a vestry on the north, an organ chamber on the south, nave, north aisle and south aisle, each with quasi-transepts, west tower and north porch. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with stone slates.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, and a fragment of pre-conquest (i.e. before 1066) wall with a small window remains in the west wall of the tower. Previous to 1844, the church seems to have had a 14th century chancel, a 13th century south arcade to the nave, and a pre-conquest tower with a 12th century belfry.
- The whole church was rebuilt in 1844, except for parts of the side walls of the chancel and the wst wall of the tower. The rebuilt church consisted of a chancel, nave, north and south transepts, two aisles, a west tower and two porches. In 1883-4, the aisles were rebuilt and widened, almost to the ends of the transepts, and an organ chamber, north chapel and vestry added. A new north porch was built, but the south porch was demolished. In 1896, the chancel was enlarged and a clergy vestry added.
- There are photographs and further information on St. Augustine's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1551-1812, 1813-1877, 1877-1894, 1894-1919.
- Banns: 1755-1844, 1843-1897.
- Marriages: 1559-1764, 1755-1812, 1813-1837, 1837-1912.
- Burials: 1559-1812, 1813-1882.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1605, 1607-10, 1612, 1617-19, 1625-6, 1629, 1660-9/1678-80, 1683, 1685-8, 1695, 1700-02, 1704, 1706, 1708-24, 1726-32, 1740-7, 1779-1813/1813-24/1825-60.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Woodston has been in the Peterborough Registration District continuously since 1st July 1837.
- Wudestun (x cent.),
- Wodestun (xi cent.),
- Wudeston (xiii cent.).
- Woodston was in the Peterborough Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1801 - 143.
- Population in 1851 - 320.
- Population in 1901 - 2817.
- Population in 1951 - 2800.
- The population figures from 1961 are included under Peterborough. However Woodston enumeration district had a population of 415 in 1991.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Woodston which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL182975 (Lat/Lon: 52.562471, -0.257686), Woodston which are provided by: