[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WOODSTON, (or Woodstone) a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Hunts, three-quarters of a mile south-west of Peterborough. The village is situated on the river Nene, and the road from Oundle to Peterborough. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, has been recently rebuilt. The charities produce about £50 per annum, the bequest of John and Mary Walsham in 17 28. There is a school with a small endowment. Mrs. Margaret Thompson is lady of the manor.
The full 1841 Census of Woodston Parish is available as fiche set C106 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1851 Census of Woodston Parish is available as fiche set C56 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Woodston was enumerated (Folios 280B-288B), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS
The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England.
The church of St Augustine consists of a chancel with chapel and a vestry on the north, an organ chamber on the south, nave, north aisle and south aisle, each with quasi-transepts, west tower and north porch. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with stone slates.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, and a fragment of pre-conquest (i.e. before 1066) wall with a small window remains in the west wall of the tower. Previous to 1844, the church seems to have had a 14th century chancel, a 13th century south arcade to the nave, and a pre-conquest tower with a 12th century belfry.
The whole church was rebuilt in 1844, except for parts of the side walls of the chancel and the wst wall of the tower. The rebuilt church consisted of a chancel, nave, north and south transepts, two aisles, a west tower and two porches. In 1883-4, the aisles were rebuilt and widened, almost to the ends of the transepts, and an organ chamber, north chapel and vestry added. A new north porch was built, but the south porch was demolished. In 1896, the chancel was enlarged and a clergy vestry added.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.