Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WOODWALTON, a parish in the hundred of Normancross, county Hunts, 8 miles north of Huntingdon, and 6 south-east of Stilton, on the border of the Fens. A portion of the fen-land still remains uncultivated. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £500. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. R. Hussey, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The monumental inscriptions for Woodwalton parish have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Woodwalton Parish is available as fiche set C85 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full 1851 Census of Woodwalton Parish is available as fiche set C35 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Woodwalton was enumerated (RG11/1601, Folios 4a - 11b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Sawtry sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1235) in which Woodwalton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-7). This is available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The church of St Andrew consists of a chancel, organ chamber and vestry on the north, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with tiles, stone slates and lead.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086; this early church probably consisted of an aisle-less nave of the same length as the present, and a chancel. About 1250, a south aisle was added - the arcade of which remains. The chancel was rebuilt about 80 years later, and the north aisle was formed or rebuilt. A clearstory was added early in the 16th century. The tower appears to have been of 14th century date.
- The church was restored in 1856-59 when the aisle walls, the porch and the tower were rebuilt and a vestry added. the features of the aisles and tower were probably reproduced in the new work as the square-headed 14th century window is a local charactaristic. The vestry was rebuilt in 1897. The porch and western end of the south aisle were again rebuilt in 1906, and the vestry was altered to form an organ chamber in 1911.
- There are photographs and further information on St. Andrew's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1754-1812, 1823-1880, 1880-1965.
- Banns: 1754-1812, 1824-1966, 1922-1924, 1956.
- Marriages: 1605-1663 (indexed from BTs.), 1754-1812 (indexed), 1813-1837, 1837-1856, 956-1967.
- Burials: 1757-1812.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1612, 1618-19, 1625-7, 1660-77/1679-80, 1683, 1685-8, 1690-7, 1699-1702, 1704-6, 1708, 1713-15, 1717-21, 1723-28, 1734-5, 1738-50, 1755-67, 1770, 1776-8, 1781-3, 1785-7, 1793, 1798-9, 1811-12/1813-24/1825-59, 1861-74.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The parish of Woodwalton was originally in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Sawtry sub-District. Once again, from 1st April 1997, it is directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.
You can see pictures of Woodwalton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL216808 (Lat/Lon: 52.411660, -0.213645), Woodwalton which are provided by:
- Waltune (xi cent.),
- Walton (xii cent.),
- Wodewalton (xiv cent.),
- Wood Walton (xvi cent.).
- The parish of Woodwalton was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, at a cost of £1.50, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Population in 1801 - 198.
- Population in 1851 - 380.
- Population in 1901 - 291.
- Population in 1951 - 277.
- Population in 1971 - 208.
- Population in 1991 - 214.