GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
    Huntingdonshire Huntingdonshire   NeighboursNearby places


[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"YAXLEY, a parish in the hundred of Norman-Cross, county Hunts, 4 miles south of Peterborough, 1½ from Huntingdon, and 1½ mile north-east of Stilton. It is situated on the Great North Road, near the line of the ancient Ermine Street and Whittlesea Mere, one of the most extensive sheets of water in the kingdom, but now drained. In Domesday survey it is mentioned as Takesley, and bad formerly a market. The town occupies the eastern slope of a ridge of hills, and in 1861 had a population of 1,411. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £177. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is, from its situation on an eminence at the western extremity of the village, conspicuous for many miles round. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Independents have chapels. There are endowed and National schools. The charities produce about £80 per annum. Abbot Yakesley of Thorney and Dr. O. Gregory were natives. A fair is held on Holy Thursday."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010




Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel



Military History

Names (Geographical)

Poorhouses and Poor Law Etc


This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014