Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Yelling, Huntingdonshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1932.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
"YELLING, during the period that Huntingshire exercised its county status, the small parish of Yelling bordered on Cambridgeshire on all sides but the west. The land is heavy clay producing cereals and beans. the land rises gently from about 100 ft. above sea-level in the north to about 200 ft. in the south. The village lies in the north of the parish on a road branching westwards from the main road from Potton in Bedfordshire to St. Ives. This branch road crosses a stream in the middle of the village by a bridge which underwent repairs in 1545-6. The church is on the north side of the road towards the east end of the village. Around it are several farms, and the Rectory is on the north. At the Manor farm, a little to the west, the roads forks with the main road going on to Toseland, having the Baptist Chapel (built in 1850) and a windmill (mentioned in 1307) a little way along it. There are several 17th century cottages scattered in the village.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]