"SEASALTER LIBERTY, a parish in the hundred of Whitstable, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 5 miles N.W. of Canterbury, its post town. It is a coastguard station and considerable fishing village. The land is chiefly in meadow, with a small proportion of arable and garden. It is mentioned in Domesday Book, and comprises the hamlets of Harwick and Seasalter. On the shore is an extensive oyster bed, called the Pollard, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, who let it to the Whitstable company of free dredgers. The appropriate tithes, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £225, and the vicarial for one of £160, besides an impropriate glebe of 39 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £130, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Alphage. The Independents have a place of worship. There is a school endowed by Mrs. F. Fagg in 1794. The fairs formerly held here have been discontinued."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]