"STODMARSH, a parish in the hundred of Downhamford, lathe of St. Augustine,
county Kent, 5 miles N.E. of Canterbury, its post town, and 3 N.W. of
Wingham. The parish is situated near the river Stour. Part of the land is
in hop-grounds and orchards. The living is a donative, value £218, in the
patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is dedicated to St.
Mary. The register dates from 1560. A court leet is held every six years."