"ST. NICHOLAS-AT-WADE, a parish in the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow and lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 6 miles W. by S. of Margate. The parish is considerable, but sparsely inhabited. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £25, with a glebe of 9 acres, and those belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury for a rent-charge of £1,026, with a glebe of 12 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £161, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure with a square tower at the W. end. The nave is separated from the S. aisle by three Saxon arches. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Paramore's school has an income from endowment of £16. The charities comprise a bequest of £80 to be given to eight poor and honest labourers."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]