Abstract of Population 1821
Census Statistical Returns 1822 Counties other than Yorkshire -
Items of Interest in the Notes. by Alan Longbottom of Pudsey, Yorks.
Amounderness Hundred - Garstang Parish - Claughton Township
The increase of population is attributed to the linen manufacture
Amounderness Hundred - Garstang Parish - Nateby Township
The increase of population is attributed to improved agriculture.
Amounderness Hundred - Kirkham Parish - Freckleton Township
The increase of population is ascribed to a sacking manufacture.
Blackburn Hundred (Higher Divsion) - Whalley Parish - various places
The entire Parish of Whalley which is also partly in the (Lower
Division) contains 84,198 inhabitants.
The great increase of Population, especially in the Townships of
New Accrington, Burnley, Clithero, Colne and Wiswell is ascribed
to the extension of manufacture in spinning cotton thread, weaving
and printing calico, and a new colliery has been opened in the
Township called Ightenhill Park.
Blackburn Hundred (Lower Division) - Blackburn Parish
The Entire Parish of Blackburn contains 63,350 inhabitants.
The great increase of Population in this extensive Parish is
ascribed to the extension of cotton manufacture in all its
branches, and to the introduction of vaccine inoculation.
A colliery has been opened at Over Darwen.
Leyland Hundred - Chorley Parish
The Increase of Population in Chorley is ascribed to the
establishment of new cotton factories.
Leyland Hundred - Standish Parish
The Entire Parish of Standish contains 7,616 inhabitants.
The increase of Population is ascribed to the establishment
of new cotton factories.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) Upper Holker Township
The increase of Population of Upper Holker is ascribed to the
prosperity of trade and the improvement of medical knowledge.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) Hawkshead Parish
The Entire Parish of Hawkshead contains 2,014 inhabitants, of
which 829 are in Hawkshead Township. The increase of Population
is ascribed to the depressed state of the manufacturing districts
causing the inhabitants to resort to agricultural Parishes.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) Egton Chapelry in
Ulverstone Parish. A small decrease of population at Egton
is ascribed to the disuse of a cottom mill.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) - Satterthwaite Chapelry
in Ulverstone Parish. Slate quarries are opened at Satterthwaite.
Salford Hundred - Ashton under Lyne Parish.
The Entire Parish of Ashton contains 25,967 inhabitants. The
increase of population is ascribed to the extension of the
Salford Hundred - Bolton Parish
The Entire Parish of Bolton contains 50,197 inhabitants. The
great increase is attributed to the extension of the cotton
manufacture. The Return of Little Bolton Township speaks of
the revival of trade, and that of Tonge Township states the
general prosperity of trade and manufacture, notwithstanding
occasional checks during the last ten years.
Salford Hundred - Dean Parish - Horwick Township or Chapelry
The increase of the manufacture of calico printing is stated
in the Return for this Township.
Salford Hundred - Eccles Parish - Barton & Clifton Townships
The increase of the bleaching trade is mentioned in the Return
for Barton and new collieries opened at Clifton.
Salford Hundred - Manchester Parish - Blackley Chapelry
The New Road to Manchester and the establishment of print works
and dye-houses is mentioned as a cause of increased population
Salford Hundred - Oldham cum Prestwick Parish
The Entire Parish contains 52,519 inhabitants. Additional
factories are said to be the cause of increased Population
at Oldham, Chadderton, and Crompton. The Return of Royton mentions
Children Apprentices brought from London and states the Poor Laws
and late Vagrant Act as injurious to property.
West Derby Hundred Huyton Parish
The Entire Parish of Huyton contains 3,046 inhabitants.
The cessation of war is said to have increased the Population.
West Derby Hundred - Leigh Parish.
The Entire Parish of Leigh contains 18,372 inhabitants.
Sundry manufactures are mentioned as prevalent at Pennington
and new factories have been established at Tyldesley and West
West Derby Hundred - Prescot Parish - Parr Township
The Entire Parish of Prescott contains 22,811 inhabitants, An
extension of collieries at Parr has increased the Population.
West Derby Hundred - Walton on the Hill Parish.
The Entire Parish of Walton on the Hill contains 14,765
inhabitants. The County House of Correction at Kirkdale
contained 520 inmates in May 1821.
West Derby Hundred - Wigan Parish
The Entire Parish of Wigan is partly in Salford Hundred and
contains 36,618 inhabitants. The extension of the collieries
at Haigh, Orrell and Pemberton is stated to have caused an
increase of Population; new factories at Hindley and Ince have
had the same effect; and both these causes at Upholland.
West Derby Hundred - Winwick Parish
The Entire Parish of Winwick contains 16,229 inhabitants.
A resort of persons from neighbouring Townships is stated in
the Return of Ashton in Makerfield; and an extension of the
Haydock collieries, as causing an unusual increase of Population.
Borough of Lancaster
The Entire Parish of Lancaster which is partly in Amounderness
and partly in South Lonsdale Hundred contains 19,272 inhabitants.
A worsted manufacture has caused an increase of Population in the
Borough; and the County Lunatic Asylum is established at Lancaster.
Town of Manchester.
The great enlargement of the Town of Manchester, in consequence
of its manufactures, has caused the Townships of Ardwick,
Chorlton Row, and Hulme to become constituent parts of the actual
Town, which so taken contains 149,756 inhabitants; but for the
sake of uniformity with the Abstracts of 1801 and 1811, Salford
only is here entered. The Entire Parish of Manchester contains
186,942 inhabitants. The New Bailey prison at Salford contained
594 inmates in May 1821.
Borough of Wigan
A report of persons from Ireland is mentioned in the Wigan Return.