"ABRAM, a chapelry in Wigan parish, Lancashire on the Wigan and Newton railway, and Wigan and Leigh canal, 3½ miles SSE of Wigan. Acres, 1,965. Real property, £8,925,-of which £4,125 are in mines. Pop., 911. Houses, 173. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church was built in 1843. There are an endowed school, and charities £36."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)