"ADLINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Standish parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Bolton and Preston railway, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles SE of Chorley; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chorley. Cotton manufacture is carried on; and coal mines were formerly worked, but are exhausted. Acres, 1,062. Real property, £4,324. Pop., 1,975. Houses, 369. The chapelry was constituted in 1842, and is more extensive than the township. Pop., 3,331. Houses, 630. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Standish. The church was built in 1838, and is in the Norman style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)